High performance, starch based excipients and encapsulants
Superior solutions for the reliable delivery of active ingredients such as e.g. vitamins, carotenoids and active pharmaceutical ingredients (API´s).
Ingredion’s vegetable-based excipients and encapsulants provide pharmaceutical and nutraceutical companies with a reliable and consistent solution for faster, more efficient tableting and encapsulation operations including the stabilisation, protection and release of actives such as vitamins, carotenoids and other API´s .
Our products are non-allergenic, non-animal and are derived from sustainable, renewable sources. They can be used in:
- Direct compression and wet granulation tableting, for coatings, as fillers, binders and disintegrants.
- Filling of hard or soft capsules.
- Encapsulation of carotenoids, oil soluble vitamins and nutraceutical oils.
- Fortification options such as added fibre and gluten-free.
Encapsulation of your pharmaceutical actives will deliver a range of benefits to your products and manufacturing operations:
- Improved product quality.
- Improved shelf-life stability.
- Improved release characteristics.
- Unmatched ease of handling and dispersion in aqueous systems.
- Reduced loss during processing storage.
- Reduced cross-contamination resulting from lower dust formation.
- Reducing cost-in-use through high active loading and productivity improvements.
Improve your pharmaceutical products and operations with Ingredion excipients and encapsulants
Ingredion’s pharmaceutical solutions can help improve your tableting operations and the efficacy of your products. Learn more about the specific benefits our products can bring below. Contact our technical team to discuss your product- or application-related questions.
The superior and reliable alternative to gum Arabic
Compared to gum Arabic, Ingredion’s solutions deliver the following benefits:
- Lower solution viscosity, enabling higher solid content
- More effective surface tension reduction for reduced homogenisation pressure and better atomisation
- Smaller particle size, enabling semi-transparent instant emulsions (colours)
- Better batch-to-batch consistency
- Security of supply and stable pricing
Improved encapsulated flavour stability
- Increased flavour retention in the final powder
- No loss of flavour intensity during storage
- No changes in the flavour profile during storage
- Good oxidation stability, with no off-note development
Improved productivity and profitability
- Oil load increase
- Higher solids in the spray dry slurry ensures
- Productivity improvement
- Improved flavour recovery in the final powder
- Eliminate lumping or caking caused by flow, poor solubility, hydroscopic meter or compression
Encapsulate vitamins and carotenoids
Stabilise, protect and enhance your actives with:
- CAPSUL® HF starch is an octenyl succinic anhydride (OSA) modified starch manufactured to a narrow specification to ensure it meets the demand for premium quality carotenoid stabilisation of lipophilic actives . It meets pharmaceutical and food microbiological standards.
- CAPSUL® HS starch is an OSA modified starch designed to maximise solids before spray drying. It exhibits a high solubility of more than 99% and meets pharmaceutical and food microbiological standards.
- HI-CAP® 100 starch is an OSA modified starch a proven high performance encapsulant that offers yield improvement when using volatile actives. It can stabilise oxygen sensitive oils in a low porous carrier matrix and accommodate high oil loads of up to 50%. Cold water dispersible, it offers very fast active release.
- PURITY GUM® 2000 emulsifier is OSA modified starch that allows you to achieve a high oil / low starch ratio compared to gum Arabic or Gelatin, allowing you to reduce costs and enhance quality of the encapsulated system. It ensures long-term stability of flavour, vitamin and nutrient emulsions and cloud emulsions even when refrigerated.
- PURITY GUM® ULTRA emulsifier is an OSA modified starch offers four times the emulsifying power of traditional emulsifiers. It is capable of doubling the oil load, which in turn doubles the manufacturing volume that can be produced from the same amount of raw materials, leading to considerable reduction in processing costs. This speciality starch also reduces water by 54% in emulsion concentrate, which saves shipping and inventory costs, and therefore reduces carbon footprint.
- CAPSUL® 2732 starch is a maize-based dextrin with limited emulsion stabilising properties, making it ideal for “value” applications or formulating a clean label encapsulation matrix. It is a non-gelling, low dextrose equivalent (low DE) functional ingredient with good film-forming properties, and a low viscosity in solution, providing good recovery rates.
Improve solid oral dosage processing and appearance
Ingredion’s UNI-PURE® product range comprises specially formulated maize starches that help you improve solid dosage formulations, processing and product appearance:
- UNI-PURE® DW starch (US DMF 16103) is a multi-functional starch that provides both dry and wet binding functionality, acts as a filler and diluent for both capsule and tablet dosage forms, and can also be used as a disintegrant in tablet systems. With superior compression profiles, it is an ideal binder for direct compression and compaction applications, delivering improved disintegration times and crushing strength, and more predictable drug release. It meets the specifications of USP/NF, Ph.Eur., and JPE, as well as Halal and Kosher requirements.
- UNI-PURE® DW-L starch (US DMF 16190) offers the same great processing and aesthetic benefits as UNI-PURE® DW, but is carefully dried under controlled conditions to meet a moisture specification that is lower than that found in conventional partially pregelatinised maize starches, making it ideal for moisture sensitive formulations.
- UNI-PURE® WG 220 starch (US DMF 15712) is a pregelatinised starch excipient that improves processing and aesthetics in all your wet granulation and tableting applications. It is specially formulated to swell in cold water to simplify your production process, while developing strong binding or adhesive properties. Your solid dosage forms will exhibit improved compressibility and reduced disintegration times. In addition, because it is whiter in colour and has a cleaner taste than conventional starches, your products will be more appealing to consumers. As a result, UNI-PURE® WG 220 will improve the processing, binding, adhesion, appearance and taste of your solid dosage forms. It meets the specifications of USP/NF, Ph.Eur., and JPE, as well as Halal and Kosher requirements.
- UNI-PURE® F starch (US DMF 10911) and UNI-PURE® FL starch (US DMF 10911) are pharmaceutical grade native maize starches used as tablet and capsule fillers and disintegrants. They meet global standards and have been used with confidence for years in the formulation of solid oral dosages. UNI-PURE® F is an ideal binder, filler and disintegrant for a wide variety of pharmaceutical applications. Its superior white colour is particularly desirable for the manufacture of tablets and capsules. It is particularly recommended whenever a starch with a high degree of whiteness and free-flowing properties is desired. It meets requirements of USP/NF, Ph. Eur. and JP monographs. UNI-PURE® FL has been carefully dried under controlled conditions to meet a moisture specification that is lower than that found in conventional starches. As a result, it is perfect for use with moisture sensitive ingredients and as a filler in capsule dosage forms. It will also inhibit caking of hygroscopic materials. It also meets the requirements of USP/NF, Ph. Eur. and JP monographs.
Reduce processing time and costs
In addition to providing processing and appearance benefits, Ingredion’s excipients can also help you reduce production time and costs of your solid dosage forms:
- UNI-PURE® DW starch, UNI-PURE® DW-L starch, NATIONAL™ 78-1551 starch ( US DMF 7260) and UNI-PURE® WG 220 swell in cold water to develop strong binding or adhesive properties. As a result, they eliminate the need to prepare starch pastes in the traditional manner. This improves processing speed and reduces your costs by eliminating the time and expense of preparing traditional binder solutions. You will still achieve the strong binding or adhesive properties you need for your formulation, even after conventional, fluid-bed and high or low-shear granulations.
Native starch excipients for solid oral dosage formulations
Native starches as tablet and capsule fillers and disintegrants for solid oral dosages
- UNI-PURE® F starch, UNI-PURE® FL starch and MAIZE STARCH BP (British Pharmacopoeia/European Pharmacopoeia grade) are pharmaceutical grade maize starches that meet global standards and have a track record of success as tablet and capsule fillers and disintegrants for solid oral dosages. They meet the requirements of Ph. Eur, and BP monographs. UNI-PURE® F starch is particularly recommended whenever a starch with a high degree of whiteness and free-flowing properties is desired. UNI-PURE® FL starch has been carefully dried under controlled conditions to meet a moisture specification that is lower than that found in conventional starches. As a result, it is perfect for use with moisture sensitive ingredients and as a filler in capsule dosage forms. It will also inhibit caking of hygroscopic materials.
Matrix for animal-free nutraceutical products
Food grade speciality modified maize starch for soft capsule applications:
- UNI-PURE® GA is the ideal encapsulation matrix for animal-free (gelatin-free)soft capsule nutraceutical products, offering stability, protection, long shelf-life and efficient release.
Absorbable dusting powder
Absorbable dusting powder USP for medical devices
- ABSORBO HP non-food grade speciality modified maize starch is a dusting and lubricating agent for a variety of medical products, particularly examination gloves and condoms. It is very effective when applied in the form of a water suspension at 10-15% solids. Equally, it can be applied as a powder in fluidised bed, tumbler or by hand applications. It is resistant to swelling and highly process tolerant. As a result, it retains functionality even during sterilisation, reduces costs in use by allowing recycling in process, and allows high process speeds even at high temperatures. ABSORBO HP’s microscopic particles deposit on the product surface uniformly, guaranteeing excellent lubrication and anti-sticking properties. It meets all the USP requirements for absorbable dusting powder, including stability to autoclaving, ensuring uniform and even surface coatings of medical products. In addition, it is FDA Approved per 21 CFR 878.4480 and meets USP23/NF 18 Specifications.
How can we help?
Contact our experts today to find the right ingredient for your needs.