Stabilise, protect and enhance your flavour and colour formulation with Ingredion encapsulation solutions
The efficient, cost-effective way to create quality products with the nutritional and clean-label claims today’s consumers demand
Encapsulation is the efficient, cost-effective way to transform oil soluble, volatile and oxidation sensitive ingredients into free-flowing powders. It protects the actives during shelf life from light (UV), oxidation and flavour losses due to evaporation of volatile molecules.
Ingredion’s encapsulation solutions allow you to develop cost-effective and stable formulations of flavours, essentials oils, carotenoid based colours, vitamins and nutrients. Our encapsulants are sustainably sourced and non-GMO. As a result, you can rely on security of supply with consistent, reliable product quality for your products.
Our products are non-allergenic, non-animal and derived from sustainable, renewable sources. Ingredion’s encapsulation solutions will deliver a range of benefits to your encapsulated products and manufacturing operations:
- Improved product quality.
- Improved shelf-life stability.
- Enhanced sensory and nutritional properties.
- Improved release characteristics.
- Reduced flavour loss during processing and storage.
- Reducing cost-in-use through high oil loading and productivity improvements.
Clean up your labels
Consumers are paying increasing attention to the ingredients and health claims about their food and beverage products, expressing a clear preference for products labelled as natural, low in fat, sugar and salt, no artificial ingredients and no additives. Ingredion’s encapsulation products are non-GM and several of them allow you to create products that can bear additional claims such as natural, allergen-free, vegetarian, Kosher and Halal.
In addition, encapsulation is an effective way of delivering nutrients that previously would have been incompatible, unpalatable or destroyed in the production process. It therefore opens the door to product innovation. Ask our technical specialists how they can help turn your innovation ideas into realities.
The superior and reliable alternative to Gum Arabic
Compared to Gum Arabic, Ingredion’s solutions deliver the following benefits:
- Lower solution viscosity, enabling higher solid content.
- More effective surface tension reduction for reduced homogenisation pressure
- Smaller particle size, enabling semi-transparent instant emulsions (colours).
- Better batch-to-batch consistency.
- Security of supply and stable pricing.
Improved encapsulated flavour stability
- Increased flavour retention in the final powder.
- Stable flavour intensity during storage.
- Stable flavour profile during storage.
- Good oxidation stability, with no off-note development.
Improved productivity and profitability
- Oil load increase.
- Higher solids in the spray dry slurry ensures:
- Productivity improvement.
- Improved flavour recovery in the final powder.
Flavour and colour encapsulation solutions
Ingredion’s encapsulation solutions allow you to stabilise, protect and enhance your products’ flavour and colour characteristics, while at the same time improving your productivity and profitability. A selection of some of our most popular products and the benefits they bring is provided below. Contact our technical team to discuss your product- or application-related questions.
Stabilise your flavour actives, essential oils, oleoresins and other botanical extracts and protect them from light (UV), oxygen, oxidizing agents, contamination, moisture, hydrolysis and evaporation with:
- CAPSUL® starch is ideal for encapsulation of flavour actives where extra oxidation protection is not required. It is easy-to-use, low in viscosity, offering high encapsulation performance and enabling 30% oil loading and stabilisation. It is an excellent replacement for Gum Arabic and offers cost saving in the formulation.
- N-LOK® 1930 starch is a medium viscosity product specially designed for the encapsulation of flavours, oils and vitamins. It is characterised by excellent resistance to oxidation. Oil loads up to 20% can be effectively stabilised.
- HI-CAP® 100 starch is a proven high performance encapsulant that offers yield improvement when using volatile flavours. It can stabilise oxygen sensitive oils in a low porous carrier matrix and accommodate high oil loads of up to 40%.
Colour formulations for food and beverages
Ingredion’s encapsulation solutions help you to develop various colour formulations with:
- CAPSUL® HS starch is a modified food starch that is suitable to stabilise carotenoid and cloud formulations used for colouration of food & beverages. It has a solubility of >98% and allows to produce formulations with an oil droplet diameter <1µm providing high turbidity in beverage applications.
- CAPSUL® HF starch is especially developed to provide superior emulsion stabilisation with oil droplet diameter <0,5µm even at elevated temperatures which enables the development of colour formulations with low turbidity, suitable for semi-transparent beverage formulations.
- Q-NATURALE® 200 V emulsifier is a purified natural extract from the Quillaia Saponaria tree. Due to the high saponin content it has very good emulsification properties and is suitable to replace synthetic emulsifier such as Polysorbates and Sucrose Ester in carotenoid formulation for crystal clear beverages.
Improve productivity and profitability
Ingredion’s encapsulation solutions can help you improve productivity and profitability, and reduce costs:
- CAPSUL® starch allows you to increase the oil load in the final powder form. Compared to traditional encapsulation systems stabilising up to 20% it enables an increase of up to 50% based on the oil content.
- CAPSUL® starch has a very low viscosity profile enabling increase the solid content in the emulsion before spray drying. An increase in the solid content by only 5% results already in up to 20% more spray dried product in the same manufacturing time.
Encapsulation systems without E-Numbers
Delivering high quality products with the nutritional and clean-label claims today’s consumers demand. All of these encapsulants can be labelled simply as “dextrin” or “maltodextrin”.
- CAPSUL® 2732 starch is a speciality maize dextrin designed for flavour encapsulation and surface treatment, featured with limited emulsification properties. In the European Union it is classified as an ingredient without an E-Number hence ideal for the use in clean label encapsulation matrix formulations. It is a non-gelling, low dextrose equivalent (DE) functional ingredient with good film-forming properties, and a low viscosity, enabling good recovery rates. CAPSUL® 2732 can be used in combination with CRYSTAL TEX® 626 tapioca-dextrin or NATIONAL™ M2 tapioca-maltodextrin.
Vegan and non allergen fat powder such as coffee and soup whitener
Ingredion’s encapsulation solutions can help you to produce non-animal, non-allergen whitener:
- CAPSUL® FP starch allows you to replace milk proteins such as sodium caseinate in coffee-whitener, soup creamer and even fat powder formulations with up to 80% fat content. Sodium caseinate traditionally used in such formulation is not suitable for vegan formulations and furthermore need to be declared as allergen. Contrary to sodium caseinate, CAPSUL® FP starch maintains its emulsification properties even at low pH, and therefore does not require the addition of pH-buffer systems.
Tapioca based encapsulation systems
Some consumers link maize and waxy-maize to gen-modification, despite the fact that all European Ingredion products are non-GM, IP. Using tapioca starches allows you to formulate maize-free encapsulations systems
- CAPSUL® TA starch is a unique octenyl succinic anhydride (OSA) modified starch derived from tapioca. It is designed for the encapsulation of flavours, clouds, vitamins and spices. In combination with CRYSTAL TEX® 626 (tapioca-dextrin) and or NATIONAL™ M2 (tapioca-maltodextrin) it enables you to formulate purely tapioca based powerful carrier systems.
How can we help?
Contact our experts today to find the right ingredient for your needs.