Rising to the challenge
Bakery is booming and Ingredion is poised for action
Consumers and legislators are more demanding than ever, so getting to market with attractively priced, good quality and compliant products is key. If you’re looking to fast-track innovation on the back of long-term trends like guilt-free indulgence, clean label and health/nutrition - Ingredion can help you balance your priorities.
We produce a wide range of speciality starch and flour-based ingredients for bakery goods including cakes, bread, sweet biscuits, pastries and fillings, and for snacks. We can help you from concept to ingredient selection and from scale-up to consumer validation. Our chefs and technical experts work hand in glove with you because that’s what it takes to find the delicious balance.
How our products add value
Our portfolio of bakery solutions perform a range of functions to help you create delicious consumer-winning bakery products through:
- Gluten-free positioning: create biscuits, cakes, muffins and pizza without compromising taste, texture or visual appeal.
- Reducing costs, maintaining texture: reduce butter and margarine in bakery fillings, pastry and cakes to optimise costs without affecting the taste, texture, shelf-life or visual appeal of your bread, cakes and snacks.
- Fibre enrichment: add fibre to bread, cereals and snacks and achieve the differentiated nutrition claims that consumers want.
- Clean label positioning: formulate high quality fruit and cream fillings for pies, cakes and pastries with simple ingredients listings.
- Enhancing texture: add that extra crunch or crispiness to create exciting new and differentiated texture in snacks. Increase shelf-life, improve batter rheology and increase freshness of cakes over shelf-life.
- Protein enrichment: add protein to your product to enhance its nutritional profile.
Reduce costs by replacing expensive ingredients such as butter and margarine with starch in your pastry and cake recipes with:
- N-DULGE® co-texturisers which maintain texture in reduced-fat bakery products.
- NOVATION® Indulge 3920 starch is the perfect clean label instant starch solution for adding indulgence to, or reducing the amount of fat in, recipes without compromising the consumer appeal or texture. Suitable for use in bakery creams.
Add a front of pack claim for ‘source of protein’ or ‘high in protein’ for bread, snacks, cereal bars or, luxury breakfast cereal and muesli with:
- HOMECRAFT® pulse flours for food products that are highly nutritious, protein-fortified and certified gluten-free. Pulse flours offer a healthy alternative to traditional and other gluten-free flours, enabling the development of highly nutritious, gluten-free bakery products.
- VITESSENCE™ pulse proteins which contain 50-60% protein are derived from pea, lentil and faba beans (commonly known also as broad beans). Highly nutritious and gluten free our pulse proteins can boost the nutritional profile of your products.
Add a front-of-pack for claim increased fibre content in your gluten-free bread, bread, cakes, cereal bars, luxury breakfast cereal and muesli with:
- SUSTAGRAIN® wholegrain barley flakes and flour. SUSTAGRAIN provides 3 times more fibre and ß-glucan to your products compared to wholegrain oats
- HI-MAIZE® 260 resistant starch is an ‘invisible’ high fibre that can help improve the nutritional composition of cereal based foods including gluten-free bread without impacting the overall consumer appeal.
Gluten-free is growing. Replace wheat with our gluten-free ingredients to create delicious solutions gluten-free foods. Choose from:
- PRECISA® Bake GF texturising system allows manufacturers to create high quality gluten-free baked goods.
- HI-MAIZE® 260 resistant starch is an ‘invisible’ high fibre that can help improve the nutritional composition of gluten-free formulation without impacting the overall consumer appeal.
- HOMECRAFT® pulse flours can also improve the nutrition, taste, colour and texture of your end products
- HOMECRAFT® Create GF 20 flour enables gluten-free formulation of a wide range of premium bakery applications without compromising eating quality or shelf-life stability.
Go clean label
More and more customers are demanding clean labels. Work with our technical experts to reformulate your cream and fruit fillings for pies, cakes and bars with:
- NOVATION® functional native starches are clean label ingredients which allow you to formulate on-trend clean label products rich in texture and taste, across a broad range of applications.
Creating differentiated texture in snacks to help stand out from the competition with:
- CRYSTAL TEX® dextrins add crispiness to low moisture applications such as crackers and coated nuts.
- BAKA-SNAK® E starch is a pregelatinised food starch designed to act as a texturising agent for a wide range of snacks with excellent expansion properties.
- CRISPIOCA® starch is a pregelatinised food starch designed to act as a texturising agent to add more crispiness and crunchiness in a wide range of snacks.
- PRECISA® CRISP 38 is an instant waxy maize starch that provides a light and crispy texture to baked sheeted snacks. Labelled as “maize starch”, it allows snack manufacturers to design the texture of their snacks to meet consumer preferences.
EU approved health claims
Achieve EFSA substantiated health claims to support the positioning of your products as 'healthier foods':
- HI-MAIZE® resistant starches have proven to produce smaller rises in blood glucose and as a result, smaller fluctuations in blood. HI-MAIZE® 260 resistant starch enables a ‘reduced glycaemic response’ health claim.
- SUSTAGRAIN® wholegrain barley flakes and flour. This ingredient provides 3 times more fibre and ß-glucan to your products (versus wholegrain oats) and enables a ‘lower in cholesterol’ health claim.
- VITESSENCE™ pulse proteins contain 50-60% protein are derived from pea, lentil and faba beans (commonly known also as broad beans). Highly nutritious and gluten-free our pulse proteins can boost the nutritional profile of your products, and help you reach “source of protein” and “high protein” claims. Products with a “source of protein” claim (12% of the energy value of the food provided by protein) can bare the following EFSA approved claims: ‘Protein contributes to a growth in muscle mass’, ‘Protein contributes to the maintenance of muscle mass’., ‘Protein is needed for normal growth and development of bone in children’
UK consumers on clean label for bakery
What motivates consumers to choose bakery products based upon the ingredients list?
Russian consumers on clean label for bakery
1. Source: This study is based on qualitative and quantitative research carried out by MMR in the UK and Russia in 2014 among over 1,000 consumers.
Discover our applications
Bakery and Snacks
Batters and Coatings
Paper, Board and Tissue
Colours and Flavours